Cafe Rio Salad/Burritos




I love this recipe. I probably make this dish once a month. My recipe is written on an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper. It has a big tear on the right hand side and there are red enchilada sauce and brown sugar stains all over it. It has been used a lot.



This salad really has three recipes:

Sweet Pork, Lime Rice and the Creamy Tomatillo Dressing.

I understand there are several salad recipes out there, but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this one.



SWEET PORK



This recipe is too much work for just a little bit of meat, so I always double the recipe and freeze the rest of the meat.

3 lbs. Rump Pork Roast
1 C. Dark Brown Sugar (I like the deep molasses taste of this.)
1 C. Worcestershire Sauce (I buy mine at Costco. You cannot beat the price for the amount you get.)
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. powdered ginger
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 Tbsp. dried minced onion

Cook all the ingredients in a crock-pot all day on low or on high for half a day. I cook mine in the oven for 7 hours on 250-275, in a covered roasting dish. Sometimes, I cook the roast through the night. You just have to be prepared to wake up in the middle of the night smelling something savory. This way, it is nice and hot if I am serving it for lunch.

Remove meat from pot and shred. Discard liquid. Put shredded meat back in and add:

1 C. Dark brown sugar
1 C. Red Enchilada Sauce





Lime Rice

1 C. White long grain rice
2 C. Chicken Broth
1 T. Garlic Powder
1 T. Minced Dry Onion

Cook above ingredients for rice directions, substituting chicken broth for water.



It really is possible to make perfect rice without a rice cooker or instant rice. Follow directions below.

Put water/chicken broth and rice on stove to boil. When water begins to boil, put on lid to pot and turn temperature to simmer. On my stove, I have a dial that starts at Lo and goes up to Hi with the numbers 1 - 9 sequentially in between. I set my dial to Lo after the rice and water/chicken broth is at a rolling boil. The lid is the important part here. I set my timer to exactly 20 minutes. When the buzzer rings, I look at the rice. If there are small holes in the rice, I know it is done. I put the lid back on and set it on a back burner, with no heat, until I am ready to serve it, or in this case add the next ingredients.

When rice is done, add:

1/2 c. Chopped Cilantro
1 T. Lime Juice
1 C. Green Enchilada Sauce

For Sweet Rice, add 1-2 Tbsp. of sugar at this point.

CREAMY TOMATILLO DRESSING


1 Buttermilk Ranch Dressing Packet (Hidden Valley Ranch Brand Recommended)
1/2 C. Buttermilk
1/2 C. Sour Cream
1 C. Mayonnaise
2 Tomatillos
1/2 Bunch Cilantro
1-3 Cloves Garlic
1 Lime, juice of
1 Jalapeno

Husk the tomatillos and slice them. Take out the ribs and seeds of the Jalapeno and slice. (Be careful! I always forget to really wash my hands well after slicing jalapenos and then I touch my eyes or something and WOW, that hurts.). Cut up the cilantro into small pieces.

Put all ingredients, except cilantro, in a blender or food processor and blend until well mixed. Add the cilantro to blender and give it a little burst of power. Just enough to mix in the cilantro and still leave little flecks of green in the dressing.


Serve on Tortillas with a little melted cheese, black or pinto beans, chopped lettuce, sour cream, gucamole and thin fried tortilla strips.

I often will heat up small Tortillas, heap on some rice, then beans and then meat. I drizzle a small line of Salad Dressing down the middle and then fold like a burrito. Delicious!