Spinach Dip

Spinach Dip

As New Year's Eve is looming in the future and New Year's Day football will be the next day, I am thinking about party food.  While putting together the list of food my family wants, I remembered this Spinach Dip from years ago.  This was a favorite  appetizer I made at parties and gatherings early in my marriage.  It was all the rage, but has not been popular for awhile.  I started talking about it to my kids. No one seemed very excited about.  While purchasing food at the grocery store, Harmons, I saw the Sourdough bread and could not stop thinking about it.  


I knew I needed frozen spinach, sour cream and mayonnaise.  I also knew I made this with a Knorr soup mix, but I had not seen it for years.  I always purchased many boxes of the soup and kept it in my pantry.  Like I said, that was years ago. 




Well, as you can see, I found it and I did buy several. The recipe is on the back of the package in case you cannot remember what you need.


Spinach Dip

1 10 oz. Package of Spinach

16 oz. Sour Cream

1 C. Mayonnaise

1 Package of Knorr Vegetable Recipe Mix

1 Can Water Chestnuts (optional)

3 Green Onions (optional)


Cook the spinach in the microwave for 2-3 minutes until soft and pliable.  Squeeze all the liquid out of it.  To squeeze out the water, put the spinach in a double layer of paper towels.  Make a ball out of it and squeeze until the water is out.  Put the spinach, sour cream, mayonnaise and contents of the soup mix in a bowl. Mix ingredients together and place in a bowl.  It is hard to resist once you have mixed it up, but if you can, get it in the refrigerator to set up for an hour or two or overnight.

(I never put water chestnuts or green onions in my dip because I have a child who has texture issues.  He does not like having any kind of crunch when he eats.  Though, it is very good with these added ingredients.)

In days gone by, I bought a sourdough round and cut a circle out of the top and picked out the inside of the round to make a large bread bowl.  I did NOT do this when I made it today.  I bought a long loaf of sourdough and cut slices.  Then I cut the slices in half and cut them again going the other direction into bite size pieces.  I actually like this better than the round, because I like the crust on the bread.


  .