Banana Cake and Cream Cheese Frosting



Banana Cake

2 1/2 C. Flour
1 1/2 C. Sugar
1 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 C. Shortening
1 C. Mashed Ripe Bananas
2/3 C. Buttermilk
2 Eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Peel ripe bananas and put them in a bowl. Blend until watery. Beat eggs in another bowl. Add bananas, sugar and vanilla to eggs. Sift dry ingredient together. Add a portion of dry ingredients and then a portion of buttermilk to banana mixture until all is incorporated.

Tips: I know what cake batter looks like, it should be runny and not stiff like cookie dough. I often add water to any cake recipe I have until it is the consistency of a cake mix you make from the store. I often add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water to this recipe.  Cook for 25-30 minutes until top is light brown. 

I often make this recipe in little loaf pans I have to make individual cakes. Then I frost them with a swirly pattern on the top with cream cheese frosting.





I have made this cake in a 9 x 13 pan, but often when I am pleasing a crowd, I will make it in a jelly roll pan. This way, there is lots of creamy frosting on every piece, since that is really what every likes about this recipe to begin with.

Did you know you can usually find ripe bananas for a very cheap price in the produce section of your grocery store. I usually never have to buy mine already ripe. It seems I always have 2-5 bananas on my counter screaming, "Please, make me into Banana Cake!"


Cream Cheese Frosting

1 8 oz. Cream Cheese
1/2 C. Butter
1 lb. or 4 cups of Powdered Sugar
1/2 C. Milk

Blend cream cheese and butter until soft. (Softening butter in the microwave is easy. I usually put two squares in the microwave at 2 minutes on power 2. After 1 minute, I turn them upside down and microwave for another minute.)

Add 2 cups of sugar and blend for several minutes. This makes your frosting soft and keeps it soft. Then add the rest of the sugar intermittently with milk until you get the consistency you are looking for. I like my frosting very creamy and inviting to bite into.