Yummy Yams



Sweet Potato Pie

5 - 6 Sweet Potatoes
3 eggs
1/2 C. Butter
1 tsp. Vanilla
1/4 C. Sugar
1/2 C. Whipping Cream

Topping:

1/2 C. Butter
1 C. Brown Sugar
1 C. Pecans, chopped
1 C. Flour

Wrap each sweet potato in tin foil, separately. Bake your sweet potatoes for an hour and a half at 500. (I know it sounds high, but I have found this to be the best temperature for any kind of potato. Try it with your Russets. You will find it gives you a wonderfully flaking potato.) Place a cookie sheet un the potatoes as they "leak" due to the high sugar content.

After you have baked them, let them cool until you can touch them. Unwrap from tin foil and peel the skins off (should be very easy now that they are cooked.)

Place potatoes, eggs, melted butter, vanilla, sugar and whipping cream in a large mixer and mix. I put everything in my Bosch mixer and mix it all up like I would any kind of mashed potatoes.

When everything is pureed, put it in a 9 x 13 pan. Sometimes, I have a little more than can fit in a 9 x 13 pan so I use my slightly larger Pyrex dish. Now mix the topping.

Make sure your butter is softened. (Remember, 1 - 2 minutes in the microwave at power 2 works for me.) Measure brown sugar, pecans and flour and place in a bowl with softened butter. use a pastry cutter or two knives to cut up butter into pea size balls. At this point mix well with hands and spread over mashed sweet potatoes.

Bake at 350 or until crumb topping has browned. I love these. I find this dish better than dessert on many occasions. I like serving these potatoes at most holidays, but I find they accompany any roast or ham in the same way you might serve mashed potatoes.

Find out more about how good Sweet Potatoes are for you at the website below.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=64