Zuppa Tuscana



PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION

1 lb. Ground Sausage*
1 lb. Red Potatoes
1 Onion
3 Garlic cloves
8 C. Chicken Broth
1 C. Heavy Cream
1 Bunch Kale

Parmesan Cheese
Salt and Pepper to Taste



Brown Sausage in large soup pot. Remove sausage and set aside. Add chopped onion and sauté in grease left by the sausage. Add chicken broth*, sliced potatoes, and garlic. Bring this to boil. Add the sausage and let this simmer as long as you like.

Right before you are about to serve, about 15 - 20 minutes, add the cream and the chopped kale. Kale tends to be like Romaine lettuce. I cut it across the leaf in strips and then cut it the opposite direction to make chunks of kale. I really like it when everything in my soup is bite size.

(I do not want to cut anything in my soup in order to get it in my mouth. I want the cook to do all the work before I eat it, so it is a nice palatable experience.)

Use Freshly grated Parmesan cheese and Salt and Pepper to taste. I tend not to be a big salt user. I find with the cream and all the chicken broth, for my palette, I do not need salt in this soup. You be the judge.


*I like using the Hillshire Farms Smoked Sausage in the deli section of your local grocery store. It comes in a long tube like sausage usually comes. I cut the tube of sausage in fourths.  I like nice bite size pieces. (You know, I told you about my issues with small pieces.)

Although this sausage is already "smoked", I like to fry it up. I cook it until I have a few "crusty" pieces. Because of the sugar content in this sausage, it will burn if you are not careful.  Watch it as you fry it.