French Toast with Magelby's Buttermilk Syrup



FRENCH TOAST

12 Eggs
1 C. Milk
1/4 C. Sugar
1/2 Tsp. Cinnamon
1 Loaf Thick Bread (I use the sliced French toast from Costco)

Mix eggs with a wire whisk.  Mix cinnamon and sugar and then sprinkle into eggs.  Whisk together for a minute or two.  (I am not sure exactly what this does, but my neighbor taught me how to do this while we worked as cooks one summer several years ago.)

Gradually add the milk until everything is nice smooth.  Dip french toast into egg mixture one at a time and place on a hot griddle.  Cook until brown and then turn once and cook until brown.  I have a griddle that is flat and square and holds four pieces of bread.  This griddle is not electric.  It sits on the burner on my stove, LOVE IT!

MAGELBY'S SYRUP

1/2 C. Butter
1 C. Sugar
1/2 C. Buttermilk
1/2 tsp. Soda
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 C. Maple Syrup

Melt butter, sugar and buttermilk in a BIG pan on the stove.  Add soda.  This will make everything puff up very high.  Make sure your pan is big enough, otherwise you will have syrup all over your stovetop!

When the mixture boils, cook for for one minutes.  Take off the heat and add the maple syrup and vanilla.  When I have real maple syrup I use it.  Most of the time I only have the big containers of Mrs. Butterworth's from Costco.  No one has ever offered a compliment that they noticed the taste of real maple syrup.  For this reason, I do not spare the expense for this syrup and save my real maple syrup for straight use only.

Serve syrup warm, THE BEST!