Aunt Dina's Salad


While staying with my sister-in-law, I made this salad.  Her family loved it and gave it the name, "Aunt Dina's Salad".  I have called it that ever since!


This salad is so simple.  It seems odd that it is so popular with my dinner guests.  During the senior year of my oldest child, I made lunch for him and all his friends every Friday.  This salad was usually a staple.  No matter how much I made, the kids always finished it off.  One of Rob's friends said to me, "Dina, when I get married you have to cater my wedding and make this salad!"


2 Heads  Iceberg Lettuce
1/2 C.     Parmesan Cheese
1- 1 1/2 C.Grape Tomatoes
1 lb.       Bacon, cooked and cut up
1 - 2 C. Garlic Croutons
1/2 C.    Hidden Valley Ranch (made fresh from the packets.  Also see my recipe for Ranch Salad Dressing)

Growing up, my mother always told me I had to tear the lettuce when making a salad.  She told me the leaves would turn brown if they were cut with a knife.  NOT!  I never tear lettuce when making a salad.  I mean never.  I always cut it with a serrated knife. 

I use 2-3 heads of lettuce, depending on how many people I am feeding.  The heads of lettuce from Costco are the best.  I love buying three heads of Iceberg for $2.59.  What a steal!

I like about 2 handfuls of grape tomatoes cut in half.  I am very particular about  grape tomatoes.  I dislike getting a salad with whole grape tomatoes.  I feel the same way about regular grapes.  If putting these two items in a salad or in any dish, cut them in half.  It is always easier to eat something that is bitesize and is not going to cause a  volcano in your mouth when you bite into it.

I use probably 1/2 C. of grated Parmesan.  Sprinkle this on your lettuce bed. If you sprinkle this on and you think it needs more, please do so.

I cut an entire pound of bacon into small pieces and then cook it on the stove top until the are crispy and brown.  Pat dry with paper towels.  (You know you should not pour your bacon grease down your drain, right?  Let it come to room temperature, spoon into a plastic ziploc bag and throw in the trash.) You do not want to clog your drains with this nasty stuff.  If it will clog your arteries, you know what it is doing in your pipes!


Pour croutons over the cheese, tomatoes and bacon until you feel you have enough.  Pour on your salad dressing and toss.

I am a big believer in serving tossed salads.  I like my salad dressing evenly distributed among my lettuce.  If I am served a salad that I have to pour on the dressing, I do not like it as the flavors are not mixed together properly.  It's just my thing, but I have found my salads are always gone when I toss them.  If I serve them with dressing on the side for some reason, I never get as many takers.  I always have leftover salad.

I think it is the convenience thing we are dealing with in our society.  If it is all put together, no matter the cost, we seem to be more interested.  It is just easier.   People like easy.  So, is my salad saga!


As you can tell, I throw things into this salad until it looks right.  I really don't measure as I see salads as a feel thing.  I just keep adding stuff until it looks or feels right.  Good luck!  Branch out and trust yourself.
Just feel  the power of your own creative juices!