Perfect Rice

Some people like rice cookers.  I do too.  I just do not like one more thing on my counter.  This is what perfect rice needs to look like.  See those beautiful little holes in the top of the rice?  That is what you are looking for.

Perfect Rice

2 C. White Rice
4 C. Water


Put in a 3 quart sauce pan.  Get the water boiling with the rice in it.  Place your lid on and turn down the rice to Low.  Set your timer for 20 minutes.  SET YOUR TIMER!  When you take the lid off when the timer buzzes.  It should look like my picture.  Perfect Rice.  The temptation is to take the lid off and look at your rice while it is cooking.  Do not PEEK!  It is the steam inside your pan that is making perfect rice.

There will be a little water that boils over the sides just when you turn the temperature to Low or 1 depending on what your cooktop dials look like.  It will stop within a minute.  Clean it up after you are done, but do not lift up the lid.

My niece Gwen knows I am a stickler about timers.  She once asked, "Why is your (Kraft) Macaroni and Cheese always so good?"  I responded, "Because I use a timer.  I always cook my macaroni for 11 minutes like the recipe says."