Strawberry Shortcake

Believe it or not, it is Strawberry Season. Have you seen them in Costco? They are huge! Pick some up today and make your family happy by making Strawberry Shortcake.


My Mom was an excellent cook. She passed away in May, but I think about her almost every time I go into the kitchen. When she said "We are having Strawberry Shortcake after dinner." she meant Biscuit Strawberry Shortcake.

Strawberry Shortcake

1 quart  Ripe Red Strawberries
1/2 C. Sugar
2 C. Flour
2 T. Sugar
1 Tbsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 C. Butter
1/2 C. Milk
1 Beaten Egg
2 C. Whipping Cream
1/2 C. Powdered Sugar






First thing you do, is cut off the tops (hull) of your strawberries. My mom had a little tool that would grab the green stem and you could pull out the core of the strawberry. I loved this tool, because it left most of the strawberry in place. When you cut off the top, you often miss the core and you cut away a lot of the strawberry.

Some people ask me if I wash my strawberries. I never wash my strawberries. They get too mushy and start to break down. They lose their structure and I hate to tell you, but mushy strawberries is one of the things I dislike the most. I think mushy strawberries are as bad or worse as mushy apples.

Cut your strawberries into small pieces.  Some people like to slice, I like chunks so to each his own.  Then sprinkle them with sugar, cover with saran wrap and put them in the refrigerator to let the syrup begin!




Now, start working on your biscuits.  My friend Maryann, loves these.  I have made them for her a couple of times.  She finally called and said, what is the recipe.  I said nothing more than a good homemade biscuit recipe with a little sugar added to it.  Make up the biscuits, cut them big.  Place them next to eat other and then bake them until golden brown at 450 degrees.  Wait for the biscuits to cool.  Slice one in half.





Spoon on those juicy strawberries and then put a big old dollop of real Whipping Cream.  I like my whipping cream thick.  I whip it until it is almost butter.  Add in the powdered sugar and  vanilla.  Often, I do not put in the vanilla, because I like the taste of cream more than I like the taste of vanilla.  ENJOY!!



I never even knew that people used angel food cake for strawberry  shortcake until I got married. Now, I love that kind of shortcake too,  but the biscuit kind is what I crave.  This is comfort food at its best.

(You can add  blueberries and make a red, white and blue dessert.  It is good with fresh peaches as well.)