Chocolate Chip Cookies

I found the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe for me. It never fails and my cookie monster of a son loves them. This is one cookie that always gets eaten.




Chocolate Chip Cookies
Printer Friendly Version

2/3 C.   Margarine
2/3 C. Butter
1 C. Sugar
1 C. Br. Sugar
2 Eggs
2 tsp. Vanilla
3 1/2 C. Flour
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Salt
12 oz. Chocolate chips (I buy the little tiny ones)
Variations*

I think this recipe works so well because you use both margarine and butter.  If you only use butter in your cookies they tend to be flat.  I have not proof except for my own experience, but I really believe this is a perfect marriage of fats in a cookie, (if there is such a thing.)

Cream fats and gradually add sugars.  Beat until light and creamy.  Add eggs one at a time.  Add vanilla.
Sift dry ingredients and add a little at a time.  I use a Bosch mixer and I have to switch from my beaters to the dough hook to add all the flour.  I usually make a double batch.  Adding 7 cups of flour ends up being too hard on my beaters.  I add my chocolate chips last and just mix them in.  Do not over beat.

I use an ice cream scoop when making my cookies to make perfect round little cookies.  I have two different sizes.  One I use to make bigger cookies when it is just us at home.  If I am taking them to an event, I make small little ones.  I scoop out 12 per cookie sheet and then smash the top of the cookies with the bottom of a glass.  This makes them cook evenly and turn out just the way I like them.

Bake at 350 degrees for 8 - 9 minutes.  My friend owns a Mrs. Field's cookie store.  He cooks his cookies at 325 for 20 minutes.  As you can tell, I barely let the bottoms get brown.  We like cookies soft.

*Some of my favorite variations on chocolate chip cookies is making the basic dough but adding:
1. coconut and white chocolate chips
2. Nuts and toffee bits with milk chocolate chips
3. Reese's peanut butter chips
4. Pastel mint chips.  You cannot believe how yummy these cookies are at Christmas time!