Chicken Cordon Bleu

This is more of a fancy meal for me.  I only do this when I am feeling really energetic as I think it takes a lot of time and preparation.  It really does have a nice presentation and it does use up left over Swiss cheese you might have hanging around.

My sister in law made this and thought that Cordon Bleu meant Blue Cheese, an honest mistake. Cordon Bleu simply means "Blue Ribbon" so in fact, this is Blue Ribbon Chicken.

CHICKEN CORDON BLEU

6 Chicken Breasts
6 Slices of Swiss Cheese
6 Slices of Ham
2 C Bread Crumbs
1 C Butter

Here is a video to watch if you have never tenderized chicken breasts.  It will give you a nice visual of what you need to do first to make this "Blue Ribbon" dish.

Video on tenderizing Chicken Breast

Once you have your six breasts nice and even, lay a piece of ham in the middle.  Then lay a piece of Swiss cheese on the ham.  I like to break up my slice of cheese as I have found that slices do not fold easily.

Roll up your chicken breast  and stick a toothpick in the end of it.  Try to tuck the ends in with another toothpick on each end.  Dip in melted butter and roll in bread crumbs.  Place on grease cook sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes.  Sometimes  I place a piece of tin foil over the chicken breast to make sure the tops do not burn while the chicken continues to cook.  When cheese starts to ooze out, that is the sign that the internal temperature has reached the right degree.

Take out of the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.  I like to make a gravy to go over the top or you can thin down some Cream of Chicken Soup with milk and serve that as well.


Chicken Gravy

1/2 C. Butter
1/2 C Flour
1/2 tsp. Salt
2 C M ilk
1 C Chicken Stock

Melt the butter in a saucepan and add flour making a reux.  Cook over heat for a minute until they are well incorporated.  Add salt and continue to stir.  I like to warm up my milk and chicken stock in the microwave before adding it to the reux making things thicken much quicker.