Carrot Pudding

Carrot Pudding Cake 




My mom made this dessert every Christmas all my life.  She would keep old cans and steam it in the cans in the oven as it baked.  No one could really could duplicate what she did until I found this recipe.  I've tweaked it until I think it tastes just like hers.  This is for all my sisters, brothers and their children.  Merry Christmas, Love, Aunt Dina.


Carrot Pudding


1 C. Grated Carrots
1 C. Currants
1 C. Dates
1 1/2 C. Sugar
1 1/2 C. Water
1/2 C. Butter/Shortening (whichever you prefer)

Bring this to a boil and cook for 5 minutes.  When all contents are nice and tender, place in your blender and pulse until mixed.  I do not like to puree this.  I like to pulse it until there are still chuncks, but very small ones.

2 C. Flour
1 tsp.  soda
1 tsp.  baking powder
1 tsp.  salt 
1/2 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. nutmeg and cinnamon
 1 C. Nuts (I like walnuts in this)
2 Beaten Eggs

Add 1 C. Flour to hot carrot mixture.  Gradually add Eggs into hot mixture.  Be careful not to cook the eggs.  Add remaining dry ingredients.  Heavily grease a bundt pan.  Bake at 325 in a bath of water* for 55 minutes.  Test with a toothpick.  This cake has a tendency to look done and be gooey in the middles.  Place tin foil over the top of the pan if it is getting too brown until the cake is finished baking.

*I have an old cookie sheet that I use when steaming dishes in the over.  I set the bundt pan on the cookie tray and put it in the oven.  Then pour boiling water in the tray and close the oven door.  As the water evaporates it "steams" the pudding to give it added moisture.

Vanilla Brown Sauce:

1/4 C. Butter
2 C. Water
1 1/2 C. Sugar
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
3 Tbsp. Cornstarch
2 tsp. vanilla

Melt butter in a saucepan until a golden brown color.  Use 1/4 C. of water and mix with cornstarch, set aside.  Add sugar, water and cornstarch mixture to butter.  Bring to a boil and cook on stovetop until it has reached the consistency you like.  Take off the stovetop and add vanilla.  Serve cake and sauce warm.  Delicious!


Brown Sugar Sauce:

2 C. Brown Sugar
6 Tbsp. Flour
2 C. Water
2 tsp. Vanilla

Mix these two things together in a small sauce pan.  Add 2 cups of water and bring to a boil.  Stir until it reaches the desired thickness.  Add 1/2 C. Butter and 2 tsp. Vanilla