Cranberry Salad - My Favorite


Cranberry Salad

Printer Friendly Copy 
 
This is my favorite salad. I think it is healthy so I eat it whenever I want something sweet. For those of you who like things a little tart and you love cranberries give this a try.

 Cranberry Salad

 2 C. Raw Cranberries
 1/2 C. Sugar
 2 C. Shredded Apples
 1/2 C. Chopped Pecans
 3 C. Marshmallows
 1 C. Heavy Cream, Whipped


Chop cranberries into fine pieces.  I use my Cuisinart and pulse it probably 20 times until it looks like the picture on the left.
Add the sugar and put in the refrigerator for an hour or so.  I like to do this step the night before.
After the cranberries have sweat with the sugar, grate the apples.  I leave the skins on but you do what you like best.  I am always looking for a little bit more fiber.  I use whatever type of apple I have on hand, gala, granny smith, etc.  Put the apples in with the cranberries.
Chop up your nuts and add them to the pile of cranberries and apples.

If you like marshmallows, add them now.  I love marshmallows, but not in this salad.
Whip the cream and add a little powdered sugar to sweeten it up.  If you are in a hurry, use Cool Whip.  Once the whipping cream is in with the other ingredients.  Fold it all together.  There is so little sugar in this recipe and it is filled with so many things that are good for you.  See how I rarationalize what I eat?