Cooking a Turkey and Making Gravy

Cooking a Turkey and Making Gravy

As the Easter Holiday is around the corner, some people might be cooking a turkey.  I have found people are daunted by the thought of cooking a turkey.  Think of it as cooking a big chicken instead.  I find that easier.

My grandmother always said, "If you are going to the trouble of cooking a turkey, you might as well make it big!"

I agree.  I try and find the turkeys that are 25 pounds or bigger.

1 Large Turkey
16 cubes of Bullion
1 Tin Foil Cooking Roaster
1 Reynold's Turkey Oven Bag 

Gravy
1/2 C. Butter
1/2 C. Flour
2 C. Turkey Drippings
1 C. Milk

To Thaw 

I put my turkey in a cooler three days before I am going to cook it and set it in the garage.  

If I do not have three days, I put it in the kitchen sink filled with water over night. (Quickest)

I have put it in a cooler and set that on the kitchen counter and filled it with water a day before. (2nd Quickest)

If you have room in your refrigerator, put it in there three to five days before you are going to cook.

Cooking

I buy the large tin foil cooking roaster at the supermarket.  You can buy one at most dollar stores at any time of the year.

Heat oven to 325.  I put the tin foil roaster on a large cookie sheet.  Place the Oven Bag in the roaster and then place the turkey in.  (I have put the turkey in the bag both breast side up and down.  I like breast side down as the juices stay in the breast).

Unwrap all the chicken bullion and place inside the cooking bag.  Use the enclosed twist tie and close up the bag.

Place turkey in the oven.  Cook 15 minutes for every pound of turkey.  A 25 pound turkey needs to cook 4 1/2 - 5 hours. I have included the link below with other bird weights and cooking times.

How to Cook a Turkey - Butterball


One of the biggest problems with cooking turkeys is people overcook them because they are afraid they will not be done.  I under cook a turkey for just this reason.  I tend to only keep them in for about 4 hours.  Once the turkey has cooked, I take it out of the oven and let it rest for a good 20 - 30 minutes.  Place a large sheet of tin foil over the bird to keep it warm.

I often need the oven for rolls or something else.  Do not be afraid to let your turkey sit on the counter.  This lets all the juices settle back into the meat.

The bird does not look beautiful in my opinion, but I do not care.  The taste is great cooking with all the salt and juices from the bullion.  I cut up my bird and serve it on a platter instead of cutting it at the table.  Place tin foil over the parts of the bird you have already cut to keep them hot while you continue cutting the rest of the bird.

GRAVY 

Once the bird is out of the oven, place a pot near buy and poke a hole into the bag.  Pour the liquid into the pot.  The bag is full of all the most lovely juices to make the best gravy. 

A gravy is simply a ruex.  Melt 1/2 C. butter in a pan.  Add 1/2. flour.  Cook for several minutes until it all starts to turn brown.  Add 2 C. of the turkey juices you pulled out of the bag.  Mix well.  I like a country gravy with a turkey gravy which means you need to add milk.  If you do not like this type of gravy add another cup of the turkey juices.

If the gravy is too thick, add more juices.  If you do not have juices, add water.  If you do not have enough gravy, make another batch.  Enjoy!