Philly Steak Sandwich


Some people think because the title says Philly it means Philadelphia Cream Cheese.  The Philly stands for Philadelphia the city not the type of cheese.  History of Philly Steak Sandwich.

I purchase most of the ingredients at Costco when I make these sandwiches.

1 Pkg. Sandwich Buns (The Costco hot dog buns)
1 Pkg. Roast Beef, sliced (2 slices per sandwich)
1 Pkg. Provolone Cheese, Sliced (2 slices per sandwich)

Onions
Mushrooms
Bell Peppers
Butter

A Long Spatula is very helpful (Diner style)

This is a messy process and getting things in order is key.  I cut the onions, mushrooms and bell peppers up into small pieces and saute each in butter until tender.  I do it separately as I always have people who do not like one or the other.  (I make these to order)

Once the vegetables are ready, butter the bread and toast on a griddle on the stove top.  When I make these I wish I owned a large counter top griddle to toast all the bread on.

After the buns are toasted and on a plate and the vegetables are warm, you are now ready to put the sandwiches together.  

Lay two pieces of meat in a hot fry pan.  I overlay them on top of each other on one edge, forming the length of my sandwich.  Cook them on one side.  Flip to the other side and lay two pieces of cheese over the meat.  Lay the warm vegetables you prefer on the cheese.  Everything starts to melt and it is ready to put into the bread. 

Using a big diner style spatula is key at this point.  Pick up everything and stuff into the bread.  Serve at once.