Chicken Piccata

I was in charge of a church function that was based on making lemonade out of lemons.  I decided to make chicken piccata which has lemon juice in the recipe. When you make this, do not put the lemon juice in until right before you serve it.  I added it too soon the first time I made it and it made the sauce bitter.

Chicken Piccata

4 Chicken Breasts
Olive Oil
1 C. White Wine
1 C. Chicken Broth
1 C. Flour
1 C. Parmesan Cheese
1/2 C. Butter
1/4 C. Lemon Juice
2 Tbsp. Capers
2 Tbsp. Parsley

Before making this recipe, I had never tried to butterfly a chicken breast.  I searched on You Tube and found this tutorial.  It helped me quite a bit.


How to Butterfly a Chicken Breast 

Butterfly your chicken breasts so you have eight halves.  Salt and Pepper them generously and then dip them in the flour that has the parmesan cheese added to it.


Get the 3 Tbsp. of Olive Oil hot in a big fry pan.  Add 1 Tbsp. of butter to oil and then add four floured chicken breasts to the pan.  Brown on both sides and then remove to another plate. 

Add 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil to your pan and 1 Tbsp. Butter.  When hot add the other four breasts to your pan.  Brown like the first four.

Once you have taken the chicken out of the pan, add the white wine to deglaze the pan of all it's chicken juices.  (I did not use the wine. I used chicken broth, but I bumped it up to 2 cups instead of 1 cup.)

Get all the drippings off the bottom of the pan.  Add 2 Tbsp. of Butter and let this reduce for 5-6 minutes.  At this point, add another 2 Tbsp. of butter covered in flour.  This will thicken up your sauce.  If you want it thicker, add more flour.  Cook for several minutes so the flour can get incorporated and cooked in the sauce.

After the sauce has thickened, add the lemon juice and stir.  Turn off the heat.  Arrange chicken on serving dish and sprinkle with 2 Tbsp. of Capers.  Pour the sauce over the chicken and then sprinkle chopped parsley on the top of the chicken.  
  
The link below is Laura Vitale cooking Chicken Piccata on YouTube.  It helped me a lot.  I did change her recipe a bit, but there are some great hints on how to do this so I decided it might help you too.  She serves it on a bed of Angel Hair Pasta.  It looks so good!

Laura Vitale making Chicken Piccata