Vanilla Pudding

If you are a pudding fan, you really need to try making your own instead of buying it in a box from the store.  You will find it is so tasty and you can use it in so many things.  This is what I use to make banana cream pie.  Enjoy my basic vanilla pudding recipe.

Basic Vanilla Pudding

10 Tbsp. Sugar
1/4 C. Cornstarch
1/8 tsp. Salt
5 Egg Yolks, Large
2 C. Milk, Whole
1/2 C. heavy Cream
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 Tbsp. Butter

Lightly beat egg yolks together.  Whisk together sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan. 

Add yolks to dry ingredients then gradually whisk in milk and cream.  Cook over medium heat until mixture starts to boil.  (This takes about 15 minutes.)  Cook for 1 minute once it begins to boil.


Remove from heat and add vanilla and butter.  Pour filling into desired bowls.  Cover with plastic wrap that has been sprayed with Pam to prevent from getting a "crust".  Hot puddings that cool form a hard chewy surface if they are not covered. 

When I was a little girl, I loved this part.  My mom taught me how to make pudding very young.  She did not like to stir so she would call me to help her.  I remember stirring lots of pudding.  My favorite part was when the "crust" formed after it cooled in the refrigerator. 

No one in my family likes this part, so I have learned to cover the pudding in plastic wrap to keep it smooth and soft.

Banana Cream Pie

Ingredients same as above
1 tsp. Banana Extract
1 pie shell, baked and cooled
Whipped Cream
Bananas
Hot Fudge Sauce

After cooking the pudding, add butter but substitute banana flavored extract instead of vanilla, put  pour into an empty pie plate.  Cover with saran wrap and let cool on counter for 20 minutes.  Don't cook too long as the filling can turn runny.  Pour pudding into your prepared pie shell.  Press sprayed plastic wrap directly onto surface.  Cool for 3 hours.

I like to cut my pie, place a dollop of  whipped cream and then add cut up bananas on top.  This way the bananas never get black and ugly at the bottom of the pie.  They always stay fresh and white on top.