Strawberry Jello Cake


Every once in a while, I get a craving for this wonderful cake. I stumbled upon the recipe while perusing a Ward cookbook.  I made it and have been hooked every since.  

1 White Cake Mix
1/2 lb. (2 cups) Powdered Sugar 
2 C. Whipping Cream, whipped (Can use Cool Whip)
8 oz. Cream Cheese
1 pkg. Danish Dessert, Strawberry
2 C. Strawberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix the cake according to directions on package.  Grease a 9 x 13 pan.

  The original recipe for this cake tells you to bake half the batter in a 9x 13 pan and then use the other half to make cupcakes.  I like to have more cake, so I used all the batter to make the cake.  When the cake is cooked, I cut off the top part of the cake the rounds up.  Do you know what I am talking about?  Usually when I make boxed cake recipes the edges are lower and the middle bakes higher.  I cut off the higher part and make it so the cake is even with the sides.  Cool cake completely.

Mix powdered sugar and cream cheese in a bowl.  As you probably know, powdered sugar has some kind of chemical reaction with cream cheese.  It makes it very smooth and spreadable.  Add the whipping cream and whip until it reaches a stiff consistency.  I like to put this mixture in a Ziploc bag and then cut the corner off the bottom and use it like a pastry bag.  I pipe the cream cheese/whipped cream mixture all over the cake.  I think this makes it much easier to spread with a knife.




Cut up strawberries into the size you prefer.  I am a bite size kind of a girl.  I do not really like slices as much as I like chunks. Then make the Danish Dessert according to the directions.  Pay attention.  It tells you to use cold water and I often forget and put hot water in the saucepan.


Pour the Danish Dessert on the strawberries.  Sometimes, I think I need to have the Danish Dessert cool, but it really is a very thin layer on the strawberries and it cools quickly when you pour it on.  Put the cake in the refrigerator until completely set.  The original recipe has you serve with more cool whip, but I like it just like it is, without.  I know, can you believe I did not add extra whip cream, my favorite ingredient?