Orange Chicken and Fried Rice



 My children really like orange chicken from Panda Express.  I found the bottle of orange sauce at Costco one day and picked it up.  I found Popcorn Chicken in the freezer section at Costco and decided this would be a great dinner.  

I have been making Fried Rice since my neighbor down the street taught me how to make it Korean style.  Well, maybe it isn't really Korean style but she taught me to use Korean soy sauce.  Together these two dishes make a fast and easy dinner.

Orange Chicken

1 24 oz. package of Popcorn Chicken
1 Bottle Panda Express Orange Sauce

Cook chicken according to directions or you can cook it longer, about 20-40 minutes to get a golden color.  I always pull the tray out and turn every piece of chicken over halfway through the cooking time.  While writing this, I cannot remember, but it seems the package tells you to cook for 10 minutes each side.  I like mine crispier.  That is why I cook them longer.  I think it holds the sauce better.  

Once cooked pour into a big bowl and cover with  1 cup of sauce to begin with.  Stir to coat evenly.  Add more sauce if so desired.


Fried Rice


2 c. Short Grain Rice
3 c. Water
1 cube Chicken Bouillon
1 c. Frozen peas and Carrots
12 eggs
1 c. Soy Sauce

Put rice, water, chicken bouillon (smashed up as best you can) and frozen vegetables into a pot.  Bring to a boil.  Keep covered and lower temperature so rice simmers.  Leave lid on, do not peek and cook for 20 minutes. Check Perfect Rice on an earlier blog entry to get more instructions.

While rice is cooking, scramble a dozen eggs.  Place eggs in a bowl.  Beat with a wire whisk.  Pour into a hot skillet with 1 Tbsp. of butter melted in it.  Reduce heat and cook on medium heat and scrap the edges until all the eggs are cooked.

When rice is done, pour into a large bowl.  Place cooked eggs on rice.  Start with 1/2 c, of soy sauce and stir.  Add more if needed.  Everything needs to have a nice brown tone.  Serve with orange chicken and enjoy.