Aloha Pork Chops


I don't know if you are like me and peruse cookbooks, but I have several 100 books and sometimes, I am looking for new things to make.  I take a book to bed and start reading.  I often make comments in the margins, "TRY!"  "Sounds good!"  "Has mustard, my husband will love".  Aloha Pork Chops is one of those recipes I marked some time ago.  With five ingredients I usually have on hand, I knew it would be an easy dinner if I prepared it early enough for the pork to cook.  

Aloha Pork Chops

1 c Ketchup
1/2 C. Pineapple Juice
1/4 C. Brown Sugar
1 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
4 lbs. Pork Chops

Brown the pork chops in a skillet.  Mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl.  Put browned chops in an oven safe dish and pour the sauce over the top.  If you like more sauce, which I do, I double the sauce recipe and then thicken it with cornstarch after I take the dish out of the oven to pour over rice.

Cook in the oven 1.5 - 2  hours at 325. Check to see if done and  if not then cover and cook another hour.  I like my pork chops to fall apart when I eat them.  I cook them long enough for the meat to break down and become fall apart yummy.  

Make Perfect Rice using long or short grain rice. We happen to like short grain and I think we have become a little bit of rice snobs.  The short grain at Costco isn't good enough any more.  After having Korean students live with us for the last two years, we only buy Korean rice from the Asian store.

After meat is done cooking, drain off the juices and put in a saucepan to boil.  Mix 3 Tbsp. cornstarch in 1/2 c. cold water.  Mix with a fork and a little at a time to boiling mixture in  your pan until it reaches the consistency you like.  I am a thick sauce girl so I probably add at least half or more of the cornstarch mixture.  Stir constantly.  Serve pork chops over rice with delicious sweet and savory sauce.

These pork chop are sweet and savory.  My carnivore son, Mark loves them. Every other Friday, I make lunch for my son and several of his friends.  I made these pork chops and cooked 14 pounds of meat and none was left when they went back to school.  I think that speaks for itself.