Levain Chocolate Chip Cookies

Chocolate Chip Cookies (Levain Bakery)


My cousin Melissa Stadler has a website, modernhoney@blogspot.com.  She posted this recipe the other and it came up on my Pinterest feed.  I was so excited, because the Levain Bakery in New York City is my favorite.  My niece, Taryn, lives in New York City and my daughter and I have been going to visit her yearly for the last several years.  

Levain Bakery is a wonderful place to visit.  There is usually a hefty line in the morning.  We have found the shortest line at the Harlem location.  There are several cookie flavors, muffins and other pastries and deliciousness available for purchase.

I made these cookies two nights ago and had a little difficulty with the baking time.  My cookies were gooey in the middle.  I wanted a solid center with ooey gooey chocolate chips.  After breaking open a cookie on the first tray, I put the tray back in the oven.  They were not done.

The second tray of cookies, I cooked for 4 minutes longer, total 16 minutes.  They seemed great, but I needed to wait for them to "set up" before I could check them.  The last tray, I let cook for 18 minutes, too long.  These turned out too done.  I wasn't satisfied with my results, so I made the cookies again last night.  



The first tray, I baked for 16 minutes, I liked the consistency of the cookies.  The last tray, I baked for 15 minutes.  I think for me and my oven, this was the best time.  So far, the cookies are a big hit.  I sent pictures to my cousin, Melissa.  She was impressed with the brown tops which is exactly what Levain cookies are famous for.  It is always fun to make a new recipe work.




Chocolate Chip Cookies (Levain Bakery)

1 C Butter, cut into small cubes
1 C Brown Sugar
1/2 C Sugar
2 Eggs
1 1/2  C Cake Flour
1 1/2 C  All purpose Flour
1 tsp. Corn Starch
3/4 tsp. Salt
3/4 tsp. Baking Soda
1 C Semisweet Chocolate Chips
1 C Milk Chocolate Chips
2 C Chopped Walnuts

Instructions

Preheat oven to 410 degrees.  In large mixing bowl, cream together cold cubed butter, brown sugar and sugar for 4 minutes or until creamy.  Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each one.  Stir in flours, cornstarch, baking soda and salt.  mix until just combined to avoid over mixing.  Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.  Separate dough into large balls and place on lightly greased cookie sheet.  I weighed my dough balls and made them 4-5 ounces.  They are bigger than you think!  You will fit 4 cookies on one cookie sheet.  Making them 5 ounces, I yielded 9 cookies.  The original recipe from Melissa gave instructions to cook for 9-12 minutes.  I cooked mine 15-16 minutes.  Let them rest for a good 1/2 hour before eating.  YUM!