Oatmeal Cake



If there is one thing you can tell about me, it is I like sweets, but then again, who doesn't?  Actually, I know a lot of people who are very careful with their sugar intact.  As for me, I try, but usually fail.  I know I have a problem, but maybe I should see a therapist instead of telling you all my weaknesses.


Oatmeal Coconut Cake

Printer Friendly Recipe

1 C. Oatmeal
1/2 C. Butter/Margarine, cut into small cubes
2 C. Boiling Water
1 C. Brown Sugar
1 C. White Sugar
2 Eggs
1 tsp. Soda
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 1/2 C. Four

Topping
1/2 C. Butter
1/2 C. Brown Sugar
1/2 C. Cream/Evaporated Milk
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 C. Coconut
1/2 C. Walnuts, chopped (optional)

Mix oatmeal, 1/2 c. butter and boiling water.  Let six for 10 minutes while you prepare other ingredients.  

Mix soda, salt, cinnamon and flour in a bowl.  Set aside.  Grease 9 x 13 pan.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix sugars into oatmeal, water, butter mixture.  Gradually add in dry ingredients.  Pour into pan and cook for 30 minutes.

Cooking Trick - While backing cakes or bread in the oven, if it begins to brown too much before you feel the middle is done, cover with a piece of tin foil. Simply lay the sheet of tin foil over the top of whatever you are baking.  Make sure you keep it loose and do not secure to pans.  This allows things to cook longer without browning more.

On the top of the stove cook 1/2 c. butter, cream and brown sugar until butter is melted.  Add vanilla, coconut and nuts.  As you know, no one in my family likes nuts in things but me.  I leave it out and then I am not so tempted to eat it.

Pour mixture over cake and broil until topping begins to bubble and coconut browns.  Serve with ice cream.