Pot Roast




Pot Roast has never been my kids favorite, but it is mine!  I have lots of memories of Sunday dinners and a big bottle of ketchup.  You will see  there is a lot of meat in the following picture.  I have doubled this recipe.  I use the left over meat in French Dip Sandwiches, Biscuit Roll Ups and Chimichangas, (recipe to come later.) 

Pot Roast
Printer Friendly Recipe

Every time I talk to someone about making pot roast, they say it is so easy to make.  Well, not for me.  I probably made pot roast 5 times before I got it right.  I am grateful to one of my son's friends who shared his mom's recipe.

5-6 lb. Cut of Meat -  Shoulder is what I like to buy
1 Pkg. Au Jus Mix
1 Pkg. Italian Salad Dressing Mix (dry)
2 Bay Leaves
4 C. Water
4 C. Carrots
4 C. Potatoes

Put pot roast in a hot electric skillet.  Brown the meat on all sides. 









 







Sprinkle the Au Jus Mix and Italian Salad Dressing on top of roast.  Add water and then put in bay leaves.  Add 2 1/2 cups of water and put the lid on.  Keep the temperature around 300-325.  This is the part I always got wrong.  People said, "Just leave it alone and come back in 8 hours and dinner is done."  That has never happened for me.  I am always checking it and adding water.  Maybe I have the temperature up too high.  Maybe my skillet isn't a good one.  I am not really sure what the problem is, but I am checking it all the time.  If I leave to go to church, I put the temperature down to 250 and then jack it back up when I get home.  I like to cook a pot roast all day.  I put it in at 8:00 a.m. and then I am ready to serve at 5:00 - 6:00 a night.

Three and a half hours before you are going serve dinner.  Peel your carrots and Potatoes and cut them up the way you like.  I like my carrots long and thin.  My family doesn't really like potatoes cooked in a pot roast.  The pictures for this recipe show only carrots because I make Homemade Mashed Potatoes instead of the others.

Put your vegetables in with the roast and make sure the water level is half way up the roast.  There is enough water int he vegetables that you will not need to add any more water until you are ready to eat.








.