See's $100 Fudge


I put together a church cookbook 25 years ago.  I was a young married and I had a lot of energy.  Then I moved from Arizona to Utah and did it again with the new church congregation where I found  myself.  I use these church cookbooks all the time.  I try to buy these types of cookbooks any time I can.

I like to believe I am a candy maker.  I really am not, but I do make a mean English toffee.  I have been making it for 35 years, but that is not the story today.  FUDGE is the story.  My son Mark loves fudge and this year I had a hankering for some so I made it.  I always use a recipe my friend Lynne Christy put in the cookbook.  She states in a caption by the recipe, "This recipe was used by the Laguna Beach for their building fund booth every summer at the Festival of Arts."

I have attended this Festival of Arts and it is amazing.  I have dear friends who live in Mission Viejo.  They took me one year.  Their mom, Ann Richardson, aka Grandma Ann, was always involved in this festival.  She passed away last year and this is dedicated to her and Lynne who passed two years ago.

See's $100 Fudge
(Printer Friendly Copy)
18 oz. Chocolate chips (Secret 3)
40 Large Marshmallows (Secret 1)
2 C. Walnuts (Secret 4)
2 Tbsp. Vanilla 
1/2 C. Butter

4 1/2 C. Sugar (Secret 2)
13 Ounces Evaporated Milk (Secret 6)

Place chocolate, cut up marshmallows, butter sliced up and vanilla into a large bowl.  Place sugar and evaporated milk in a large saucepan.  Bring to a boil.  I like to place a lid on it for 10 seconds to wash down all the sugar crystals on the side of the pan.  This will prevent the fudge from crystalizing after you have finished.  There is nothing worse than fudge that has big old sugar granules in it!  Once this mixture boils, boil it for 6 more minutes.  Use your timer!!  Pour this mixture over the ingredients in your big bowl.  Then stir and stir and stir and stir until all the marshmallows are completely melted.

Pour into a buttered 13 x 9 pan.  Let sit over night and then cut into small squares.  I decided I wanted Pots of Fudge this year.  I happen to have small (4 oz.) solo cups with lids that I always have on hand.  I poured four cups with no nuts in them, then added nuts and poured the rest into the cups.  They were fun to give out to friends once I finished.

*Secrets

Secret 1
I have made this fudge many times before, but this Christmas, it was the best ever!  The only thing I can figure out is I used marshmallows that were a little old, six months old from the summer's activities of s'mores.  I think because they were a little older, I had to stir and stir and stir and stir and stir to get the marshmallows incorporated.  This made for an extremely smooth fudge.

Secret 2
The lid on the boiling milk mixture got rid of any sugar crystals that were stuck on the sides of the pan leading to sugary fudge.

Secret 3
I used 12 oz. of milk chocolate and 6 oz. of dark chocolate.  I have a plethora of chocolate in my house because I make English toffee for all my friends and family during the holidays.  I always use Guittard Chocolate Apeels.

Secret 4
I do not chop my walnuts.  I break them apart with my hands giving me large pieces in my fudge.  I so love to have a little fudge with my nuts!

Secret 5
You might never make this fudge, but this recipe is for me to remember what I did so I can replicate it again!

Secret 6
Evaporated milk does not come in 13 ounce cans anymore.  I used 1 12 ounce can they come in today.  This might be something to play with next time.