Clam Chowder (Market Street)

Market Street Clam Chowder
It has been a while since I made clam chowder.  On Christmas Eve, my family was invited to my sister-in-laws home.  She ordered, purchased and served Market Street clam chowder with delicious sourdough bread.  It was so good!  I ate every drop and wanted more.

Throughout the last week and a half, I have thought about that soup more than once.  Then I started looking for a recipe online.  I found recipe on foodcrush.com.  I changed it a little so take a look if you think my recipe is missing some key ingredients.

Clam Chowder
(Printer Friendly Copy)
1 C. Onion (1 Onion)
1 C. Celery (4-5 Stalks)
1/2 C. Bell Pepper
1 C. Leeks (1 Leek)
2 C. Potatoes (4-6 Medium)
2 Cans Clams (I wish I would have put in more!)
2 C. Chicken Broth
2 C. Water
2 tsp. Thyme
3 Bay Leaves
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Pepper
1 C. Butter (divided)
3/4 C. Flour
1 C. Milk
1 C. Heavy Cream
1 Loaf Sourdough Bread

Dice up all vegetables into small pieces.  In a heavy pot (I have a big 8 quart enamaled cast iron skillet), melt 1/4 C. butter. Place onions, celery, bell pepper, and leeks and sauté until the vegetables are almost done.  Add chicken stock and water.  Then add potatoes.  I usually cut my potatoes into squares that are about 1/4 - 1/2 inch in diameter.  Add salt and pepper, thyme and bay leaves.    
Cook until the potatoes are done, about 20 minutes.

While potatoes are cooking making a roux with the leftover butter, flour and milk.  Melt butter (3/4 C.), then add flour.  Cook on medium heat while stirring for about 5 minutes.  Once the flour is well cooked and incorporated, slowly add the milk while stirring.  Continue to stir until everything thickens up.  Take some stock from the soup and mix it into the roux until it is less thick and clumpy.  Then add the liquified roux into the soup.  While stirring, bring everything to a boil.  The soup should thicken up after everything boils.  Then add heavy cream and reduce heat.

This really is not a complete meal unless you have a loaf of sourdough bread.  There is something wonderful when these two dishes pair together.  My mom used to toast the sourdough, butter it and then put it back into the toaster.  I  very much like my mom's sourdough toast with this soup.  

When I made this soup, it really it the spot!  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.