London Broil


I found this recipe in a church cookbook. I have made it over and over again and my family loves it.  Harmon's used to have meat, buy one get one free, but that doesn't happen any more.  London broil was often on this sale and I would load up.  



 Raw meat with marinade


I went to Harmon's today and paid $9.99 a pound for London Broil, unheard of!  That is the price I pay for New York Strip or Rib Eye.  This Covid-19 thing is creating all kinds of problems.  I always cook two at a time.  As long as I have the grill fired up, might as well have leftovers!



Cooked Meat Right Off the Grill

London Broil

2-3 pounds of London Broil
Meat Tenderizer
Garlic Powder
Worcestershire Sauce
Oil

Unwrap the meat and shake a thin layer of meat tenderize all over the top.  Take a fork and start poking the London broil as much as you can or have the strength to do.  I usually put the meat vertically and poke it and then turn it horizontally and poke it again.  

Shake on a lot of garlic powder.  Pour the Worcestershire sauce over the meat and then poke it again.  I love Worcestershire so I pour another layer on it and then pour some oil on it.  I cover with plastic and marinade for 2-6 hours or overnight.  Sometimes, I can't wait and just cook it up after about 30 minutes.

Cook on the grill until the outside is nice and crusty.  Flip and do it again.  Then put it on the top shelf of your grill and close the lid.  Let it cook for about 10 minutes.  You need to keep an eye on it so the flames do not burn it.

If you pick up the meat with tongues and it does not flop, it is done.  If it feels flimsy and not firm, you should probably cook it another 2-3 minutes.

Bring it inside and cover with foil.  Meat should always rest before you cut into it.  I like to cut the entire piece of meat up.  What we do not eat, warms up for leftovers the next day.  For this reason, I like to have the meat on the rare side.