Can't Put My Fork Down Mashed Potatoes

 Can't Put My Fork Down

 Mashed Potatoes

The weather is turning cold and Thanksgiving is four days away.  My daughter, Cari, was asked to bring mashed potatoes to a Friendsgiving. She asked me to post the recipe so she can access it from her phone.   Here is my family favorite mashed potatoes recipe.




Potatoes are so good!  There are so many kinds, russet, Yukon gold, red, potatoes, finger, etc.  Which one to choose and why?

Russets have always been the go-to potato, but technology and new farming techniques have created so many new varieties.

I discovered Yukon Gold potatoes several years ago.  My sister invited my family to dinner and we ate these butter, flavored potatoes as a side dish.  To be honest, I am not sure why I add butter because you really do not need it.  (But then again, doesn't butter make everything better?) 

My son, Mark, loves potatoes and these have become his favorite.  Every time I say, "We are having potatoes for dinner." His face lights up and asks, "Yukon Golds?"



Here's how to make my
  Family Favorite Mashed Potatoes

1.  Put a large pot of water on the stove and get it boiling.  Did you know if you put
    the lid on your pan, the water will boil faster?  Trapping the heat in the pan
    makes the temperature rise faster.  Makes sense, right?

2.  Peel the potatoes.  I do not wash my potatoes before peeling because I am
    going to throw the peels away.  I do run the potatoes under water after I peel
    them.

3.  Cut them into the same size pieces. Having the same size pieces makes the
    potatoes cook evenly.  Nothing like biting into some mashed potatoes and
    getting a piece that is not quite cooked.

4.  Drop potatoes into the boiling water.  I like to put the lid back on, but not quite.
     I leave a 1-2 inch gap between the side of the pan and the lid to let the steam
     escape.  This way the pot does not boil over and leave a mess on my stove.

5.  Watch the pot and when the water begins to boil again, turn the heat down
     to medium and set your timer for 30 minutes.

6.  Soften the cream cheese and butter, in the microwave.  Did you know your
     microwave has a power button?  You can decide how much power the
     microwave puts out.  I push "Cook Time" first and put in 1:00 then I push
     "Cook Power" and push 5 for 50% power.

7.  Put the cream cheese and butter in a large bowl and use a hand mixer to 
    blend them together.  Then shake in Garlic Salt, salt and Pepper works well,
    if you are not a garlic fan.

8.  When the timer goes off, check the potatoes with a fork.  Poke a potato with a
     fork.  It should slide into the potato easily and you should be able to pull it 
     out easily.  If you cannot, cook for another 5 minutes until the fork methods
     works.  Use two hot pads and drain the water off while holding the lid onto
     the pot with a small slit from the pan so the water will drain.  You might want
     a friend to hold the lid while you hold both handles on your stock pot to pour
     out the water.

9.  Pour the hot potatoes into your bowl.  


10.  Blend everything together.  It does not take very long, maybe 30 - 60 seconds.  It should not have any lumps or chunks of potato.  Sometimes, you might feel you need more liquid.  I like to drop in a spoonful of sour cream at this point to get it the smooth consistency I like.   Milk works too!


Let me know on Instagram or Pinterest if you make this.  Post a picture and then tag me @dinasdiner.  I want to know how it turns out.




Family Favorite Mashed Potatoes

5 lbs. Yukon Gold Potatoes
1 8 oz. Cream Cheese
1/2 C. Butter
1 tsp. Garlic Salt
(1 Spoonful of Sour Cream) Optional

  1.  Put a large pot of water on the stove and get it boiling.
  2.  Peel the potatoes.
  3.  Cut them into the same size pieces.
  4.  Drop potatoes into the boiling water. 
  5.  Watch the pot and when the water begins to boil set the timer
       for 30 minutes. 
  6.  Soften the cream cheese and butter, in the microwave.
  7.  Put the cream cheese and butter in a large bowl.
  8.  When the timer goes off, check the potatoes with a fork. 
  9.  Pour the drained hot potatoes in the large bowl.  
10.  Blend everything together with a stand or hand mixer.