Delightful Green Beans

 


Green Beans are a perfect side for any meal.  Serve them on Christmas or Christmas Eve as a side dish with a Prime Rib Roast, holiday ham, chicken or steak. These are quick and easy and are filled with big flavors.




Fresh green beans are my particular favorite, but I have made this recipe with frozen green beans and it turns out great!  I have been making this side dish for 20 years and it is still a family favorite, never any left overs!

How to Make Delightful Green Beans

1.  Cut the ends off both ends of the green beans.  I do not like the curly ends of green beans.  Some people think it looks fancy, but I feel like they get stuck in my teeth.

2.  Pour chicken stock into a fry pan and put on medium heat. I use water and chicken bouillon instead of chicken stock.  One cup of water to 1 cube chicken bouillon.  I also really like Knorr Chicken Granules.  I find it in the Latin Markets.  If you use the granules, it is one teaspoon to one cup of water.  I use hot water to help dissolve the bouillon.  If using the cubes, use a sharp knife and stick it in the middle of the cube to break it apart.

I find that chicken stock takes up a lot of room in my pantry and I do not think it adds any more flavor than the chicken bouillon mixed with water.  To me it is equal and it is cheaper and more convenient.  Besides all these great values, it creates less waste if you are worried about Mother Earth like I am.

3.  Put green beans in pan and bring to a boil. 

4.  Boil for 10 minutes.  You are looking for a brilliant green color on the bean at this point.  I pick up a bean, with tongs of course, and put it on the counter to rest for 10 seconds, so it is not too hot, and then taste it.  I want the bean to be firm, but soft enough for my teeth to sink in it and to chew it comfortably.

5.  Drain the chicken stock into the sink. 

6.  Sprinkle on olive oil.  I take my bottle of Olive Oil and sprinkle it liberally all over the green beans.  I want enough so the Garlic Salt will stick.

I use Olive Oil a lot in my cooking.  I like extra virgin olive oil (EVOO as Rachel Ray likes to call it).  I am willing to spend a little more money for my olive oil since I use it so often.  I find the higher quality of olive oil really adds more flavor to my food.

7.  Sprinkle with Garlic Salt.  I really like Lawry's Garlic Salt but any will do.

8.  Sprinkle on Parmesan Cheese.  You can use real grated cheese or Kraft Parmesan Cheese in the Can.  I use real parmesan cheese on most everything, but for some reason, these beans do not taste as good with the real cheese.   I like them better with Kraft Parmesan cheese.




Let me know on Instagram or Pinterest if you make these.  Post a picture and then tag me @dinasdiner.  I want to know how it turns out.

Delightful Green Beans

Printer Friendly Copy

2 lbs. Green Beans
2 C. Chicken Broth
2-3 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1-2 tsp. Garlic Salt
1/3 C. Parmesan Cheese

1.  Cut the ends off from both ends on the green beans.
2.  Pour chicken stock into a fry pan and put on medium heat.
3.  Put green beans in the pan and bring to a boil. 
4.  Boil for 10 minutes.
5.  Drain the chicken stock into the sink. 
6.  Sprinkle on olive oil.
7.  Sprinkle with garlic salt. 
8.  Sprinkle on Parmesan Cheese.