Roasted Brussel Sprouts

 


Brussel Sprouts are a quick and easy side dish for any meal.  I did not grow up eating them, but I love them and so does my family.  It takes about 10 minutes to cut off the stems and slice them in half or in fourths, depending on how big they are.  Then you throw them in the oven and roast them for 40 minutes with olive oil and salt and pepper.  That's it!

I cannot tell you how much everyone loves Brussel Sprouts in my family.  They are especially delicious right out of the oven.  I tried lots of different recipes trying to find one I liked and finally I figured this one out on my own!  I roast all kinds of vegetables, so why not Brussel Sprouts.

Brussel Sprouts are on the menu of every fancy restaurant I visit.  I usually order them so I can see how amazing chefs make them.  Most restaurants use balsamic vinegar with their Brussel Sprouts.  I started pouring balsamic vinegar over mine and now I like them even more than I did before.



How to Make Roasted Brussel Sprouts

1.  Cut off the stem of each sprout right below the bud.

2.  Cut all the sprouts in half.  Usually, Brussel sprouts are the size of golf balls or smaller.  Lately at Costco, they have been about the size of tennis balls. (Okay maybe not that big, but they are much bigger than normal.) These I cut into fourths. 

3.  While cutting them, put them right on the cookie sheet or roasting pan.  I use cookie sheets that have a lip on them so these work great for roasting vegetables as well as cookies.

4.  Sprinkle olive oil all over the Brussel sprouts.

5.  I use my hands to rub the sprouts in the olive oil.  This gets the Brussel sprouts completely covered in olive oil.

6.  Salt and Pepper the sprouts well.  Ground black pepper and flake salt from a salt mill are my favorites.

7.  (Optional) Sprinkle on Balsamic Vinegar.  You do not need to mix this in because the vinegar is repelled by the oil and will slide around your pan.  As you turn the vegetables during roasting, the balsamic vinegar will begin to mix in and stick.

8.  Stir the vegetables every 10 minutes.

9.  Cook for 40 minutes.



Let me know on Instagram or Pinterest if you make these.  Post a picture and tag me @dinasdiner.  I want to know how it turns out.


Roasted Brussel Sprouts


2 lbs. Fresh Brussel Sprouts
1/4 C. Olive Oil
2 tsp. Salt
2 tsp. Pepper
1/4 C. Balsamic Vinegar (Optional)

 1.  Preheat Oven to 350°.
 2.  Cut off the stem of each sprout right below the bud.
 3.  Cut all the sprouts in half.
 4.  Put the sprouts on the cookie sheet or roasting pan.
 5.  Sprinkle olive oil over the Brussel sprouts.
 6.  Use your hands to rub the sprouts in the olive oil.
 7.  Salt and Pepper the sprouts well.
 8.  (Optional) Sprinkle on Balsamic Vinegar. 
 9.  Stir the vegetables every 10 minutes.
10. Cook for 40 minutes.

More recipes like this you might like!