Carrots The Good Way




Carrots The Good Way is an elegant vegetable dish that can be added to any dinner.  There is a hint of horseradish in the sauce that is spread over the carrots.  There is no other way to describe the taste than "The Good Way". They are so different and delicious you will find yourself making them often.


I took these to a family party during the holidays.  Everyone was raving about them.  You know you have brought a good dish when others ask for the recipe.  They really are Carrots The Good Way.


How to Make Carrots The Good Way

1.  Cook the carrots in beef broth for 10 minutes.  I buy the two pack of carrots from Costco.  I pour 1 1/2 bags of carrots into a four quart sauce pan and then cover them with water.  I put in two cubes of beef bouillon to give them a beautiful flavor.

2.  Bring the water to a boil.  Put the lid on and reduce the heat to simmer.  It is important the water continues to boil.  The carrots will not cook if the water is not boiling.

I set the timer for 10 minutes.  When the timer goes off, I use a fork to check the tenderness of the carrots.  Stick it into the carrots and if it goes in easily, they are done.  If it does not, set your timer for 2 more minutes and then check again when it goes off.

Putting the lid on the pan makes water boil faster.


3.  Preheat the oven to 375°.

4.  Drain the beef broth from the carrots and pour them into a 13x9 pan.  I try and use one of my fancy pans because I will be serving from this dish when it goes on the table.

5.  Mix together the mayonnaise, horseradish, dried onions, salt and pepper.  You can use a small real onion instead of the onion flakes.  I have a son that does not like the crunch of onions when he eats, so I use the dried flakes in this recipe.  I also love the convenience of them. 

6. Pour this mixture over the top of your carrots.  I put small spoonfuls all over the carrots, then start spreading it with a spatula.  You will notice it is a very thin layer.  It really is just a flavor layer for the carrots.


7.  Melt the butter and mix with the bread crumbs. Sprinkle this all over the top of the carrots.  Be careful to drop a little all over the whole top of the dish and then fill in with the left over bread crumb topping.  It only makes a thin layer.  Sometimes, I double the bread crumb part of the recipe to have enough. Sometimes, I am just not in the mood for that much.  I like to have enough of the ingredients on hand to do whatever my mood requires!


8.  Bake this in the oven for 20 minutes.  Keep an eye on the bread crumbs on top.  They have a tendency to brown too fast.  This is easily fixed by laying a piece of tin foil over them.  Do not wrap it around the dish, just lay it on to stop the bread crumbs from browning further.


Let me know on Instagram or Pinterest if you make these.
  Post a picture and tag me @dinasdiner.  I want to know how it turns out.


Carrots The Good Way


3 lbs. Baby Carrots
2 C. Water
2 Cubes Beef Bouillon
1 Cup Mayonnaise
1/4 C. Creamy Horseradish
2 Tbsp. Dried Onion Flakes
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Pepper
1 Cup Mayonnaise
1/2 C. Panko Bread Crumbs
1/4 C. Butter

1.  Preheat oven to 375°.
2.  Put carrots, water and beef bouillon in a 4 quart saucepan.
3. Heat to boiling and then reduce the heat to simmer.  Leave the lid on.
4. Cook for 10 minutes and check for doneness.
5. Drain beef broth in the sink and pour carrots in 
a 13 x 9 pan.
6. Mix mayonnaise, horseradish, onion flakes, salt and pepper (flavor layer).
6.  Place flavor layer in small dollops all over the top of the carrots. Spread evenly.
7. Melt butter and mix in bread crumbs.  
8. Sprinkle this layer over the top until it is gone.
9.  Bake for 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown.