Chewy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

 


Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies are some of my favorite cookies.  These are even better than traditional cookies because they are chewy!!! If you are not a Pumpkin CCC lover because they are cakey, these cookies are for you!  The combination of spices and pumpkin mixed together with the right leavening agents make a Chewy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookie.


There is nothing like October to give way for all things pumpkin.  In my opinion, it does not end with Halloween.  Pumpkin flavored food is just gaining speed in October.  It ramps up in November with Pumpkin Pie and all sorts of other variations on this amazing seasonal flavor.  Everyone in my family is so excited when pumpkin pies start arriving in a very large box store that we frequent often.  It means it is Fall!



How To Make Chewy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies


1.  Preheat oven to 350°.  Always when making cookies, you need to cream the fat and sugars together.  It really makes a huge difference in your cookies.  These cookies have a combination of shortening and butter.  Each of the fats do different things in the cookies.  If you want chewy cookies, you need both.

Mix these two fats together and then add the sugar.  Use your mixer and cream the fat and the sugar together for four minutes.  It really helps me to set a timer.  I am always amazed how different the dough looks after creaming it for this amount of time.

Read below for the best shortening measuring hack.


2.  Here is my hack for measuring shortening.  There is an easy way to measure shortening without making a mess and getting grease everywhere.  I like to fill a 2 cup liquid measuring cup with water to the 1 1/2 cup line.  Then I take a scoop of shortening and eyeball it for 1/2 cup and then put that scoop in the water.  When you push down on the shortening to submerge it in the water, you want the waterline to be at two cups, 1 1/2 cups of water plus 1/2 cup of shortening makes 2 cups.  Add a little more shortening if it is not quite to the line and take a little off if it is too high.

3.  Add the egg.  Some people love cracking eggs on the side of the bowl.  I find this always gets shells in my dough.  Through the years I have learned to hit the egg on a flat surface, like a counter top.  I always break the eggs into a separate bowl before putting it in the dough.  If by chance I have some shells, this allows me to get the shells out before I add them to the dough.

4.  Put all the dry ingredients in a bowl.  You might be wondering about the measurements because this recipe calls for baking powder and baking soda.  The mixture of these two leavening agents is what makes these cookies chewy.  Trust me!  I promise you will love the cookies if you follow the recipe.  This includes adding the cinnamon and nutmeg.  I am not usually a nutmeg lover, but it makes the perfect combination of flavors in this recipe.


The combination of baking soda and powder is the secret ingredient for these cookies.


5. There are 2 teaspoons of baking powder and one teaspoon of soda.  The combination of these leavening agents make the cookies chewy.  You will get cakey cookies without them.

6.  Mix everything together with your mixer.  Right before the dry ingredients are all the way mixed in, drop in the chocolate chips.  Keep a few out so you can put them on the cookies when they come out of the oven for garnish.

7.  Grease three cookie trays, and then drop the cookie dough into large round mounds.  Three across the top and four down the side.  This makes a dozen on each pan.  With room in between the cookies, you get perfectly round cookies instead of cookies that have crashed into each other.  

8.  Cook for 11 - 13 minutes.  We all know that every oven cooks a little different.  I have two ovens and one oven cooks hotter than the other.  In my oven, I cooked the cookies for 13 minutes.


Let me know on Instagram or Pinterest if you make this.
  Post a picture and tag me @dinasdiner.  I want to know how it turns out.

Chewy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

Printer Friendly Copy

1/2 Cup Shortening
1/2 Cup Butter
2 Cups Sugar
1 Egg
1 Cup Pumpkin Puree
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 1/2 Cups Flour
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Soda
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Nutmeg
1 1/2 Cups Milk Chocolate Chips

1.  Preheat oven to 350°.
2.  Cream shorting, butter and sugar for 4 minutes.
3.  Add egg and mix in well.
4.  Then add pumpkin puree and vanilla.
5.  Put all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix.
6.  Gradually add dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture.
7.  When the dry ingredients are almost mixed in, add the chocolate chips and mix with a spoon.
8.   Grease cookie trays and place 12 cookies on each.
9.  Bake for 11-13 minutes.