Sock-It-To-Me Cake


My sister Gayle used to make this when I was a child.  This is a comfort food for me.  I had lost this recipe, then I saw the Neely's on the Food Network Channel make it.  Here is the link to their website. Sock-It-To-Me Cake

Sock-It-To-Me Cake
FILLING
1C. Pecans, Chopped
2 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
2 tsp. Cinnamon
CAKE
1 Yellow Cake Mix
4 Eggs
1 C. Sour Cream
1/3 C. Vegetable Oil
1/4 C. Water
1/4 C. Sugar
2 Tbsp. Flour
GLAZE
1 1/2 C. Pwd. Sugar
2 Tbsp.Milk
2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice

Heat oven to 350.  Grease and flour a bundt pan.  

Mix pecans, brown sugar and cinnamon and set aside (Filling).  Open cake mix and put in a large bowl.  Add eggs, sour cream, oil, water, sugar and flour.  Mix well.  Pour into greased bundt pan.

Sprinkle Filling on top of cake batter.  Most recipes tell you to put half the batter in the bowl and then sprinkle on the filling and then cover with the rest of the batter.  The filling is very heavy with the nuts.  As you can see, my filling mix is at the top of my cake which if is upside down in the pan, is the bottom.  When making this again, I will put the filling mix at the top of the batter.  My idea is that it will sink only halfway down to really make it in the center of the cake.

Bake in oven for 40-45 minutes.  Insert a toothpick to make sure the cake is done.  (I use wooden skews to test my cake.  They are much longer than toothpicks which make them easier to use for me.)

While baking, mix up glaze mixture, powdered sugar, milk and lemon juice.  Add more milk if you want it runnier.  (If you do not want to refrigerate cake, use water instead of milk in glaze.)

Let cool on rack for 10 minutes then invert on a plate.  While cake is still hot pour glaze over the top.