Chocolate Brownies




Chocolate Brownies

When I was attending college, I was hired as a counselor for a summer youth program.  I worked several summers rooming with different college age girls.  One of these roommates, was a favorite of mine.  We were working the summer Princess Diana and Prince Charles were married.  We worked until late at night and then got up in the morning at 2:00 to watch the live wedding procession on TV.

When I moved back into the area and my kids entered high school, I found her again.  We would see each other at high school events.  Then one day she told me about these fabulous brownies.  I asked her to email me the recipe and today I am sharing this recipe with you.

1 C. Butter, melted
2 C. Sugar
4 Eggs
1 1/2 C. Flour
1/2 C. Cocoa
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Baking Powder
24 York Peppermint Patties (Optional for Mint Brownies)

I always like to cream the butter and sugar for several minutes before adding the eggs.  I like making things as light as possible.  Add eggs one at a time.

Mix dry ingredients together and add a little at a time until all is incorporated.  Pour into a 13 x 9 pan that has been liberally greased.

Another friend gave me a recipe very similar to this one, but she pours half of the batter in and then unwraps York Peppermint Patties and places them four across and six lengthwise.  Pour the rest of the batter on top and smooth over patties.

Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.  To tell if brownies are done, look at the edges.  If the edges are getting crusty and the middle doesn't move when you shake the pan, they are done.

Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

1 lb. Powdered Sugar
1/2 C. cocoa
1/2 C. Butter
1 tsp. Vanilla
3/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 C. Milk or Cream

Beat 1 C. sugar and butter for about 5 minutes.  This makes very creamy frosting.  Add the rest of powdered sugar, salt and cocoa.  Add 1 Tbsp. of milk or cream until you receive the consistency you are looking for.  Add vanilla.