Balsamic Skillet Chicken

Balsamic Skillet Chicken with Garlic and Mushrooms





I have been working throughout this year to reduce the calories I pack around on my body.  On a trip to Los Angeles with my sisters, they told me about the Fast Metabolism Diet by Hailey Pomroy.  It sounded so complicated the summer before when one of my sisters asked me to download the app on my phone and join her and her daughter for a month long adventure of Phase 1, Phase 2 and Phase 3 dieting.  I did not do it.  Then after hanging with my sisters for four days, they told me how to execute the diet, it seemed easier.  I accepted their challenge and began the Monday we returned home.

This Balsamic Chicken Skillet recipe is one I found on Pinterest on the website Cookies and Cups.  I have made it several times.  Now that I am (once again) starting the diet, I thought you might like it as delicious as me and my family do.

Often Macey's Grocery store will have 40 pound boxes of chicken that go on sale.  I like to buy these and then trim off the fat and freeze them four in a Ziploc bag.  My family makes fun of me, but I squish out the air from the bags, as much as I can, then suck out the rest like a vacuum.  (I just have never wanted to buy one of those freezer contraptions that suck out the air because my contraption, my mouth, is so much cheaper.

Thawing Meat Tip:  Put your frozen meat in a tub of warm water.  I put the I use in my kitchen sink and let it sit for about 15 minutes for hamburger and 30-40 minutes for chicken.  Make sure your meat is in a Ziploc bag so juices do not leak out.  



Skillet Balsamic Garlic Chicken
Printer Friendly Copy

1 1/2 lbs. Chicken breasts, sliced into 1/2 inch thick slices.
2 T. Olive Oil
8 Cloves garlic, finely chopped
1-2 lb. Mushrooms (I like more than less)
1/3 C. Balsamic Vinegar
3/4 C. Chicken Broth
1 Bay Leaf
2 T. Butter

Instructions

Salt and pepper chicken after it is sliced.  Slice mushrooms.  Heat up olive oil in caste iron skillet.  Brown chicken slices on both sides and then remove from pan.  Add mushrooms to pan with butter.  Brown and then add garlic at the end so it does not burn.  Once mushrooms are soft add vinegar, bay leaf and chicken broth.  Place chicken on top of cooked mushrooms and cover with lid.  Cook for 10 minutes.  Take lid off and cook an additional 5-7 minutes until sauce thickens.

I found short grain brown rice at Costco, in a 25 lb. sack.  It is delicious.  I cannot tell you how much I love this rice when cooked in chicken broth.  This chicken is fabulous served over this rice which some of that yummy sauce.