Apple Streudal

Apple Strudel (Apple Pastry Squares)

My mother-in-law made this dessert one day for Sunday dinner.  It was amazing.  I asked for the recipe and have probably made this recipes 20-30 times in the last 30 years.  That is a lot.  It means Fall to me!  








Apple Strudel
2 1/2 C. Flour
1 tsp. Salt
1 C. Butter, plus 2 TBSP.
1 Egg Yolk
Milk (see following)
1 C. Crushed Corn Flakes
8 C. peeled, cored, sliced, tart apples
2/3 C. Sugar
1/2 tsp. Ginger
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1 Egg White, stiffly beaten

Frosting 

Mix
1 C. Powdered Sugar
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1 - 2 Tbsp. Water

Stir flour and salt.  Cut in butter.  Beat egg yolk with a fork.  Add enough milk to the egg yolk to fill a 2/3 C. measuring cup.  Stir milk into flour mixture with fork.  Stir until mixture holds together.  Divide dough in half.  Roll half to line a jelly roll pan.  The crust will be very thin and you might have to cut some off the sides and patch it to the corners like I do.  I tend to roll things out in an oval even if I am trying to roll it out as a square or rectangle.  Sprinkle the bottom crust with the crushed corn flakes. 

Combine apples, sugar, ginger and cinnamon.  Spread apple mixture on crust.  Roll out second half of the dough.  Place on top.  Seal the edges well with the bottom crust.  This does not need slits in the top, unlike apple pie.  Bake at 400 degrees for 35 - 40 minutes.  The eggs whites will turn the same color as the crust.  Put frosting in a Ziploc bag and cut off the corner.  Pipe the frosting over the strudel.  I cut this into 30 large pieces.  I actually like this better the day after I make it.