Frito Pie



 Frito Pie is a base layer of Frito Brand Chips, topped with chili, cheese, pico de gallo avocados and sour cream. It is so good! 

My sisters and I found this on the menu at Karl Strauss Brewing Company.  This is a restaurant across the street from Angel's Stadium in Anaheim, California. Would you order something called Frito Pie? It piqued my interest, so I ordered it. So glad I did!

I came home from California and kept thinking about this dish. I did some experimenting, kept feeding it to my kids and finally found the perfect combination of ingredients.
 


How To Make Frito Pie


1.  If you have made a pot of Dina's Chili you are ready to go.  If you do not have any on hand, buy your favorite brand of chili and warm it up.  I am a big fan of Stagg chili, but I have recently discovered the McCormick chili base.  It has all the seasonings in the package and you add the hamburger and beans.  It works when you do not have all day to make a pot of chili.


2.  Start with a layer of Frito chips on a plate.  Fritos definitely have a distinct flavor and since this is called Frito Pie, I just do not think you dare use anything else.  Fritos in Spanish means, "Little fried things".  They are made from masa and then deep fried to give them that yummy flavor.


3.  Layer on 1/4 -1/2 cup of warm chili on top of the chips.


4.  Spread on a layer of grated cheddar cheese.  Put the plate in the microwave and heat on high for 45 seconds.


5.  I like a double decker of chips, chili and cheese, so I repeat steps 2-4.


6.  Now you're ready to put on the Pico de gallo, sliced avocado and dollops of sour cream.  I have included a Pico de Gallo recipe if you want to make your own.  For a quick dinner, buy some fresh at your local grocery store.


7.  You might think this is like nachos, and try to eat it with your fingers, but it's not.  I use a fork to pick up every bite of deliciousness!


Let me know on Instagram or Pinterest if you make this.
  Post a picture and tag me @dinasdiner.  I want to know how it turns out.


Frito Pie

2 C. Frito Brand Chips

2 C. Chili

1 C. Cheese, shredded

1/2 C. Pico de Gallo

1/2 Avocado, cut into bite size pieces

1/4 C. Sour Cream


I made some chili from a  dry package the afternoon before I wanted to make Frito Pie, but I am sure canned chili would taste just as good.  Once you have the chili warmed up, you're ready to assemble.







Lay out some Fritos on a plate.  Add the chili on top of this chips and then add a layer of cheese.  Put the plate in the microwave for one minute.



Then add the pico de gallo, cut up avocado and dollops of sour cream.  It is not like nachos, you cannot eat it with your hands.  The chips are too small.  Delicious!