Potato Salad

 


Potato Salad is the perfect side for any BBQ! I love this potato salad because it is just the basics, no pickles, no onions, just potatoes, hard boiled eggs, mayo, the secret ingredient, Miracle Whip, spices and a little mustard.  That's it!   

Every time I make this and take it anywhere, everyone loves it!  Make this for your upcoming BBQ!  I promise you will get rave reviews!


How to Make Potato Salad

1.  Making potato salad is so easy.  It does take a little planning because you need to boil the potatoes and the eggs.  Both need to cool.   If you get these going in the morning, or the night before, you will be on track for a great potato salad around 12:00 or late afternoon.

2.  I like to use Yukon Gold or Red potatoes for potato salad.  They are delicious and soft, which make the perfect potatoes for this type of salad.

3.  Cut the potatoes in half and place them in a large pot.  Cover with hot water and place on the stove.  Put a lid on the pan.  Bring to a boil.  Water boils much faster when the pan has a lid on it.  Once the water begins to boil, turn the heat down.  The water still needs to be boiling, but not a rolling boil.  Set a timer for 30 minutes.  

When the timer goes off.  Turn off the heat.  You can let the potatoes sit in the water until they cool, or you can pour off the water and let them cool in the pan.  I like to leave them in the water.  I think they dry out when the water is poured off.

4.  In the bottom of another pan, place a dozen eggs.  I am a hard boiled girl, so I like one egg for every potato.  Put all the eggs in the pan and cover with hot water.  Put a lid on and turn the high on high.  Once the pan begins to boil, turn the heat off and leave the lid on.  Set the timer for 10 minutes.

Did you know that older eggs are easier to peel when you make hard boiled eggs?  I usually buy the 5 dozen container from Costco. Once, I get home, I put them in one dozen egg containers that I have saved.  When I store these in the refrigerator, I know which eggs are the oldest because they are on the bottom.

5.  When the timer goes off, drain off the hot water and then cover the eggs with cold water.  In about five minutes you need to do this again.  I can usually handle the eggs after I have filled the pan twice with cold water.

6.  Once the potatoes have cooled, it is easy to peel off the skins.  Chop them into small cubes and put them in a large bowl.  Peel the eggs and chop into small pieces.  I use an egg slicer  that makes this job so easy.  Add the chopped eggs to the bowl of potatoes.

7.    Mix the mayonnaise, Miracle Whip, mustard, spices and evaporated milk in a separate bowl.  Once this is smooth, pour it over the bowl of potatoes and eggs.  Mix until everything is well covered.
  
8.  You might have more control than me, but I cannot resist at this point.  I dig in and eat a little bowl before I take it to my next BBQ!


Let me know on Instagram or Pinterest if you make this.
  Post a picture and tag me @dinasdiner.  I want to know how it turns out.

Potato Salad

12 Potatoes
12 Eggs
1 Cup Mayonnaise
1 Cup Miracle Whip
1 Cup Evaporated Milk
1 Tbsp. Yellow Mustard
2 Tbsp. Sugar
1/2 tsp. Garlic Salt
1 1/2 tsp. Celery Salt

1.  Boil Potatoes and Eggs.
2.  Peel Potatoes and dice into small cubes.
3.  Peel Eggs and cut into small pieces.
4.  Mix mayonnaise, Miracle Whip, mustard, spices and evaporated milk. 
5.  Pour this mixture over chopped potatoes and eggs.
6.  Continue to mix until all potatoes and eggs are covered.